“Time On My Hands”
Tricia posts videos of performances of some of her favourite pieces. Performed during the Covid-19 pandemic, these videos each come with a story about what makes the music so unique as a composition and special to the performer. Check this page for a new video each month.
- Prelude in B-flat Major by JS BachBach’s music is deeply rewarding to play because of its intricate counterpoint melodies in both the right and the left hand. The beauty of Bach’s melodies and the interweaving of the various themes and motives are awe-inspiring. Watch this introduction to the video and the piece itself to learn more about Bach’s music.
- Rondo Alla Turca by MozartHistory of the Composition Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart ~ January 27th, 1756 – December 5th, 1791 Rondo Alla Turca is one of Mozart’s best-known piano pieces, and was written in approximately 1783, in either Salzburg or Vienna. It is the third movement … Read more
- I Got Rhythm by George Gershwin History of the Composition George Gershwin was born in Brooklyn NewYork on September 26th, 1898. He is one of the most significant and popular American composers of all time, having composed many songs as well as piano pieces. Gershwin died … Read more
- Dark Eyes Boogie by Gerald Martin History of the Composition This fun Boogie piece by Gerald Martin, (aka the Hungarian Composer, Denes Agay, 1912-2007) is an adaptation of the song O Chichornya, a Russian Gypsy Tune. The melody for O Chichornya, or “Black Eyes” is based … Read more
- Arabesque No. 1 by Debussy History of the Composition This beautiful piece was written by Claude Debussy while he was in his twenties, between 1888 and 1891. Debussy was from the Impressionistic Period of music, which followed the French visual art form. In this Arabesque, … Read more
- Clair de Lune by Debussy History of the Composition Claude Debussy was a French composer, born on August 22nd 1862, and living until March 25th, 1918. His music has a quality that evokes emotion, atmosphere and mood, typical of the Impressionist Period, of which he … Read more
- Fantasie-Impromptu by Chopin History of the Composition Frédéric Chopin was born on March 1st, 1810 in Poland, and died on October 17th, 1849. He composed the Fantasie Impromptu in 1834. More about the composition. Personal Note I first heard this piece in the … Read more
- Three Preludes by George GershwinHistory of the Composition George Gershwin was born in Brooklyn NewYork on September 26th, 1898. He is one of the most significant and popular American composers of all time, having composed many songs as well as piano pieces. Gershwin died on … Read more
- The Flashy Solfeggietto by C.P.E. BachSolfeggietto is a beautiful short piece composed by C.P.E. (Carl Philipp Emanuel) Bach in 1766. History of the Composition C.P.E. Bach was born on March 8th, 1714, and died on December 14th, 1788. He was the son of J.S. Bach. What … Read more